Gift Materials Policy
Gift Materials Policy
The Kraemer Family Library will accept gifts only from members of the UCCS community that complement and support the instructional, learning, and research mission of the University. Selection criteria for gift materials are the same as those for purchased materials. In most cases, duplicate materials and materials that fall outside the scope of current University curriculum will not be added to the collection. Donations from the general public are not accepted. At the time of donation, all items become the property of Kraemer Family Library and the library reserves the right to distribute, house, or dispose of these gifts at its sole discretion.
- Only non-duplicative scholarly and educational materials that meet the library's educational and research mission will be accepted.
- Before any materials can be delivered to the library, a list of titles to be donated must be sent to the library at firstname.lastname@example.org for approval.
- The library will return the title list indicating the materials that have been accepted for donation.
- After approval, gifts may be delivered any time the library is open.
- Faculty publications (e.g., monographs, edited collections, chapters in books) will be welcomed.
- The library does not box or pick up donated materials.
- Upon delivery, at your request, a donation form will be provided.
- Donors are not notified regarding decisions about whether or not a donated title is added to the collection.
Materials Not Accepted
- Out of date formats such as VHS, cassette tapes, and CD-ROMs
- Outdated books in rapidly changing fields
- Popular fiction and popular nonfiction such as cookbooks, self-help, and outdated encyclopedia sets
- Popular magazines including National Geographic
- Mass market paperbacks
- Journals or serials
- Materials in poor condition including but not limited to yellow/brittle pages, torn pages, water damage, or excessive highlighting/underlining
- Older textbooks
- Advanced reading copies or bound or unbound galleys
- Materials left at the library without pre-approval by a subject librarian
The Kraemer Family Library will consider gifts from outside of the UCCS community if they meet one of the following exceptions:
- Rare or unique materials that directly relate to UCCS. These types of donations will be forwarded to the Archives Librarian for review.
- Unique or specialized collections that will enhance the research or educational mission of the library.
Acknowledgement of Receipt
- The Library will provide, if requested, a letter of acknowledgement of the donation that indicates the number of books donated. To receive a letter, donor must fill out the Gifts to the Kraemer Family Library form.
- The Library will include acknowledgement of donated materials in the library's online catalog upon request.
- Under current tax law, the Library cannot attach a value to materials received through donation. You may assign a value for tax purpose or elect to have the donation independently appraised to establish the value for tax purposes. If you want a detailed inventory by title with the letter of acknowledgement, a list of titles must be submitted with your donation.
Other Places for Your Gifts
- Pikes Peak Library District
- Local Goodwill Stores or other second hand stores
- Local used bookstores.
Have questions about our gift policy? Please contact Joan Carlo at email@example.com.