COVID-19 and Library Services
COVID-19 and Library Services
Last updated: 1/19/2021
- Is the Library Open?
- Borrowing Books and Other Library Items
- Returning Books and Other Items to the Library
- Access to Textbooks and Course Reserves for Fall Semester
- Prospector is Unavailable
- Interlibrary Loan Services are Limited
- Getting Research Help
- Accessing the UCCS University Archives
The Library is open to current UCCS students, faculty, and staff. When you enter the building, you will need to swipe in with your UCCS Lion OneCard. The Library will remain closed to the general public.
While inside the Library, you must wear a face covering as required by UCCS Safety Guidelines.
Several areas of the Library remain closed:
- The entire third floor of the Library is limited to staff only, including the UCCS Archives, EPC 304c, the Reflective Space, and the Parent/Child Study Room, and group study rooms.
- Because the third floor is closed, the elevator will be unavailable.
- The Library is operating under a new reduced capacity. In order to prioritize students who need to finish their courses and complete their research, the doors between the University Center and the Library are locked to not allow walk-through traffic so we don’t have to turn away students that need to use our space.
The second floor of the Library will be open, including the computing lab, printers, tables, and study carrels.
The Library is operating under a new reduced capacity. In order to prioritize students who need to finish their courses and complete their research, the doors between the University Center and the Library are locked to not allow walk-through traffic so we don’t have to turn away students that need to use our space.
For your safety, we are asking UCCS students, faculty, or staff not to touch or browse the Library’s physical collection this spring. Instead, you will need to request all books, DVDs, and other items before you can use them.
Our staff will retrieve the item and email you when it's ready for pickup. This is for the safety of our patrons and our staff and reduces physical contact with the collection during the pandemic.
Requesting an Item from the Collection
- To place a request, find the title in the Library Catalog.
- If its status is On Shelf – Request Item or Quarantined, you must request the item before you can use it.
- Click Request Item in the sidebar of the Library Catalog.
- Look for an email to your @uccs.edu email address from the Library notifying you that the item is available for pickup.
- Pick up the item at the Library’s Circulation Desk within 7 days of being notified.
Requests for items with a status of On Shelf - Request Item generally will take 1 business day or less to fulfill. Requests for Quarantined items will take up to 144 hours (6 days) to fulfill. These items were recently returned and are being quarantined for your safety before we recirculate them.
Several collections will continue to be unavailable:
- The Reference Collection
- Current and Bound Periodicals
Semester-Long Checkouts for Books
Due to the ongoing pandemic, students, faculty, and staff can borrow books for the entire Spring 2021 semester. The Library recognizes that many people are learning and working remotely and may not be on campus for much of the semester.
All books will be due back by May 21, 2021. For books checked out during the Spring semester, the Library will allow one renewal through the Summer semester for faculty, staff, and students who are not graduating at the end of the Spring.
This loan extension only applies to books and does not include DVDs, CDs, phone chargers, and other equipment, which will continue to be loaned under their normal borrowing periods. See the Library’s Circulation Policies for a complete overview of checkout periods for these items.
For the spring semester, please return all borrowed library materials (including books, DVDS, mobile hotspots, etc.) to the Library’s exterior book drop, located near the southeast entrance to the University.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Library will not be circulating print course reserves to students during the Spring 2021 semester. This is for the safety of library patrons and our staff. Instead, the library will work to add electronic course reserves directly to Canvas.
- This service is only for faculty/staff
- Students requesting this service will be referred to their faculty
- Requests will be processed in the order they're received
- Due to copyright restrictions, requested materials will be posted on Canvas
Faculty and staff can submit requests using the Course Reserve Request Form.
Due to the impact of COVID-19, Prospector is currently unavailable.
Interlibrary Loan Services are Limited
Due to the impact of COVID-19, the Library's Interlibrary Loan services are currently limited to electronic requests.
Needing help researching a topic for an assignment? We’re available virtually to help you with your research questions! Ask questions through chat, email, phone, and text. Just visit the library homepage or https://www.uccs.edu/library/help.
Research within the UCCS University Archives is available by appointment only. Please contact the Archives using our contact form, describing your question and request. Only a small percentage of the materials in the collections have been digitized so arrangements to access the physical materials must be made in accordance with COVID-19 operating procedures.